Friday, August 10, 2007

"Bob"

I know how foolish it must sound to call our alleged ghost Bob, but sometimes giving things a name makes them easier to put in some useful mental cubbyhole.


It didn't take long for Bob to move beyond the stairs. We soon started hearing him walking down the hall toward the bedrooms. We'd be downstairs watching TV when we'd hear the stairs act up again then go down the hall over our heads. Oh hell. Speak of the devil! There he goes. I was wondering when Bob would make an appearance tonight.

There's no pattern to it so far as we can tell. It happens at random, but it's most unnerving at night when we're in bed. No matter how many times we've heard it now, we just can't get over that apprehension we feel staring at the doorway as the sound approaches. Still, nothing ever appears but each time I could swear there's going to be somebody there. I can't tell you how difficult it is to fall asleep when we haven't heard him yet and the hour gets later. You get to a point where you just want to get it over with for the night.

If it had just remained limited to that we could have gotten used to it. Ha! How many times in the past 4 months have I told myself that! First the creaks and groans, then the stairs, then the hall, then the floors in the livingroom, the doors... but I get ahead of myself. Forgive me. There's just so much in such a short time. Yet somehow we're determined to tough it out, as they say. This is our first home and we're staying!

I'm sorry, this is just getting me riled up tonight. I need to step away from this for now.I'll try to get more down tomorrow.

1 comment: